Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Sims 3. The things I like, and things I don't like.

Hello! Welcome to my second blog post ever. I've just pre-ordered the prima guide for the sims 3, and I can't wait to get it. There are so many things in the game I know I'm missing out on, so this will help big time.

One of the things I had trouble with at first was trying to figure out how to get INTO a house. The method is a little strange, but simple once you get used to it. First what you want to do (aside from loading the game!) Is to pick a neighborhood, then on the left to the bottom corner you will notice that there are several options. Click on "choose household" A little box should pop up. Once you've decided on the family you want to play, click the select button on the family's screen. The family's picture will then be brought down to the left hand side, and all you need to do after that is click the check mark to play.

Embarrassingly enough, that did take me a few minutes to figure out. Haha.

Okay, now that that's out of the way we can get onto the good stuff! There are several new interactions I like, including "Clip Coupons". To be able to clip coupons, your sim must be Frugal and you must have a newspaper. Select the newspaper, and click the option to clip them coupons! The coupons can be for a lot of different things - like food or spa trips. The coupons themselves are good for three days. I like to stock up on them for a few days then make a day out of it and take all my sims out for a nice outing. I thought this was an indescribably cute idea, so in my neighborhood Mrs. Crumplebottom was constantly doing it!

Within the decorating tab, there are tons of items I had wanted SO badly for the sims 2. You can get toilet paper, tissues, fire pokers, and paper towels to help decorate the place and make things seem more like real life. The objects themselves can be placed at an angle, off centered, to the front or to the back. You can put several different objects on one single surface. Chairs, tables, etc can all be placed at an angle to give the room a more realistic and interesting apperance. I'm in love with the decorating aspect in this game. The colors are easy to change and DO NOT cost aside from the first purchase. Also, if you walk around the town you will find various things for your sim to collect. This includes gemstones and seeds both of which can be used.

Now, as you will come to notice if you continue reading my blog, I LOVE having sim families. I loved the sim babies (Yes! I really did, even though you couldn't do much - they were adorable!) Well, in the sims 3, you are granted a few more options. Although the basic interactions between mother and child are still nearly the same - you can do so many other things not directly to the baby. What I mean is that instead of feeding the baby, cuddling the baby, then putting it in the crib for a few hours to just do the same thing again your sim can take the baby out of the crib and SIT DOWN WITH IT!

Yes, I said it. Your sim mother can actually bend her legs with her baby in her arms. Aside from that, she can talk to people! Imagine that! She can walk the baby around town, or take it to a spooky graveyard and explore the crypts! Yes, I really did take an infant to a graveyard to explore crypts that you could possibly get chased out of by bears!

Okay, now for the lows. The only one I've really come across is this ; When your sim gets a newspaper and reads it, as soon as they're done reading it it goes straight to their inventory. So, if you don't recycle it, your sim could have TONS of newspapers collected throughout their life. In the same respect, books will be placed in your inventory and can be taken out to the park to be read.. but you know what, I actually like that!


Some of the new options in the game are ghost babies, triplets, mean forum posts, specific grocery shopping and lots of buffs/debuffs.

You can search the newspaper for various weekly events that will happen a specific day, at a specific time.

Your sims now actually CARE if another sim is single or not! Under romance, they can ask if a sim is single or not. I LOVE this feature, it's amazing.. like, I can't even begin to say how happy this makes me. I hated finding out that a sim was infact married and still all over my sim in ts2.

You can cook so many more items! The foods actually have a recognizable sequence too, like if you have them make PBJ then you see them with a peanut butter jar. It's cute. You can go to the book store to buy different recipies as well.

The only bug I know of is in Mrs. Crumplebottom's yard, the grave there is supposed to be of her husband Richard. While I DO think it IS her husband Richard, the gravestone (and I'm assuming ghost..) is named Erik Darling.

Handy Tip Number 1 : If your sim is out and starving, try going to the park for a free meal. Often times sims will set out picnic baskets and abandon them. Click on the basket for a free meal!


Our sim enjoying a borrowed picnic.




Mrs. Crumplebottom is a Frugal sim, who likes to clip coupons.

16 comments:

  1. Thanx for answering all my qts earlier. It really sounds like this game is awsome. I did have another qt though... if a sim can now recognize if a sim is married can they still cheat?? Also if you have a relationship and you decide you don't want them to be together anymore is there an option to just break up? Or is it like the sims2 where you have to hate eachother inorder to break the relationship?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question: I have heard that there are no curly hair styles in the game. Is that true?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Misty for the most part that is true. There are "wavy" hairstyles for adults and one curly pig tailed hairstyle for female children.

    I wouldn't really say that the wavy hairstyles count, but this may be just because i myself have curly hair and just think wavy is the same as curly.

    I can't wait for custom content to add some, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon, yes sims can still cheat.. it wouldn't be any fun if they couldn't! ;) Especially with all the new options like going somewhere ELSE so that your partner can't find out.. very handy!

    I did check on the "break up" option and if you have a mean sim you can click "mean" and then "break up" while still being able to kiss and still being in good standing.

    I'm not sure if a nice sim could do it, I'm going to assume that they can't.. but I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your so lucky you got the game so early I can hardly wait to get it!

    My question is, In create a sim is there nice clothing choices? From the screen shots I saw a lot nicer looking clothes but then I know they have the online store and someone said that their would only be a small choice of clothing? Also is this the same for the hair styles?

    ReplyDelete
  6. can you have access to both Riverview and Sunset Valley at the same time? like you can live in one and visit the other, or have some sims in one and some in the other? or do you have to pick one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mantas, there are several different clothing styles in create a sim. The hairstyles are a little limited, but you can change the color of anythiung to make it more unique.

    The clothing is all sepereate - earrings, shoes, pants, shirts.. so you can create something very new. That's not to say there aren't full outfits if you aren't feeling quite as creative :)

    I wish there were more hairstyles though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anon #2, no you can't have access to both as far as I can tell. You can keep the sims in the sim bin and move them to the other town though.

    Don is in Riverview, so maybe move him in later and sweet Cassandra off her feet. :P

    Or you know, torture the womanizer.

    Ah one thing. You can load the towns over and over again and start over the games you save you can name. So, if you make a mistake or want to try something you can start over at any time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So now i heard that there are no longer wedding archs, can your sim still throw a party to get married? How about the wedding dresses, are they better looking than in the sims 2?

    ReplyDelete
  10. omg i just read on one of the forums that the sims 3 does not have a pause button?? Is this true?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simluated Luck, I look forward to reading more of your posts. I will hopefully be getting the game tomorrow morning.

    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how the rest of the neighborhood grows with you as well! No more having to try and play multiple families in the neighborhood just to keep up with one another.I truly cannot wait to get playing on this.

    My question is about woohooing.... is it still limited to certain places? I remember you only had the option to do it in certain areas like the bed or jacuzzi. Didn't know if that changed.

    I also love to have kids and just watch the grow up. Should be fun. I think you've inspired me to start a blog on my sims too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Silly Monkey, thanks! I'm so glad you enojoyed it I will continue to write tips and stuff as I will be getting the prima guide tomorrow.

    I'm so glad someone agrees with me about the neighborhood growing! I was a big fan of prosperity in the sims 2, so this was like the challenge in a way.

    The woohooing is limited to certain places, but I'm sure with custom content that there will be something similar to ACR where sims could woohoo on couches. I think there was another adult mod "woohoo anywhere" Haha.

    I'm going to be writing later tonight (raid permitting..) about pregnancy. It will either be tonight, or tomorrow once I get a prima guide and can inform correctly :P

    I hope you do write your own sims blog, I'd love to follow it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anon, there is a pause button! Do not worry. :) Also there's a 4th speed option instead of just the 3 speeds. SO you can go super fast.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Other anon, I do not see any wedding arches! Maybe I am looking in the wrong place.. I will keep looking!

    None of my sims have gotten married yet.. maybe they need to go to city hall to get married. I will have an answer for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this is amazing! Thanks so much for all the great tips, I've explored probably about half of the things you talked about. I agree, the Ask if Single option is super handy, they actually minus if my sim finds out that the other person is not available! Finally, some monogamy in the Sims ;P

    ReplyDelete